Going Green in 2015 | A is for Amber

I'm always on the look out for natural alternatives to relive pain, not only for myself but for my son too. When I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia two years ago I trawled the internet for alternative methods and one study I stumbled across talked about the healing powers of Amber.

Bracelets made from this natural resin are believed to lessen the pain of Arthritis, Rheumatism and joint pain - perfect for my Fibro symptoms. I've been wearing a bracelet now for a few months and I've already seen a noticeable improvement in my hands and wrists especially. So when Hedd started showing signs of teething I knew we would be trying out an amber necklace.

To ensure you're getting the maximum health benefits from the Amber it's important to make sure the beads are first genuine Baltic Amber and that the jewellery is in constant contact with the skin. Over time your body heat helps release Succinic Acid from the beads which is then penetrated into the skin offering a natural pain reliever. The longer you wear it the more health benefits you can expect from it.

At first I was apprehensive about putting a necklace on my baby, but as soon as Hedd could support his own head I felt a lot happier. I never leave Hedd unattended with it on and I always remove it when he has a nap or before bed. The necklace is knotted after each bead making it extra safe incase it does break and each necklace is fitted with a screw clasp which makes it impossible for your baby to remove. It will also break under pressure so if your baby got it caught the fastening is designed to snap.

Amber necklaces are very on trend at the moment, you can't move for them at the mother and baby groups, but even before the second world war children in Germany have been given Amber beads to wear and it's believed to help them grow stronger and make teething less painful.

At almost seven months, Hedd still hasn't got a tooth but he's been been showing signs for months now. Constant dribbling, chewing on everything and rosy cheeks but still nothing. Hedd's been wearing this necklace for a few weeks now and things seem to have improved. It'll be interesting to see how it fares when his first toothy peg comes through, I'll keep you posted.

Laurie Rose