Fibromyalgia and Pregnancy | Natural Remedies

Having a chronic condition is a challenge at the best of times, especially when you're pregnant. I'm safely into my pregnancy now but there as so many things you can't take or do when you're with child that really puts pressure on you and your condition. As this pregnancy wasn't planned, I didn't have time to prepare my body for the huge shift that was about to happen. My doctor advised to stop all of my medication on the spot because some of them could actually be harmful to the teeny bean growing inside me - I was worried to say the least - I wasn't sure how I would cope without the heavy duty painkillers and antidepressants I took daily, which enable me to lead a semi-normal life.

I had considered trying alternative treatments and coming off my meds altogether but every time I plucked up enough courage I would always bottle it.

I was lucky because I didn't experience any withdrawal symptoms however for the first ten weeks of pregnancy I felt rotten, but I just put that down to the shift in hormones and typical early pregnancy blues.

Now officially in my twelfth week of pregnancy I am already beginning to feel more alive and people are beginning to comment on how well I look - which has given me such a boost. Now I'm grabbing this burst of energy firmly by the horns and starting to plan meals, exercising and generally look after myself - and I'm taking this opportunity to do it as naturally as possible.



If you suffer from Fibromyalgia one of the most debilitating aspects is struggling with widespread stiffness and muscle spasms. I have been using this muscle rub from Herbfarmacy for the last two months now. I love to run a warm bath in the evening and have a long soak, then use this on my thighs and calves (that's where I get the most of my aches and pains) but you can use it all over. The balm melts into your skin instantly and it has a spa-like scent which is lovely and earthy. Some of the ingredients have wonderful natural healing properties. Comfrey roots and leaves contain a substance called allantoin, which along with other compounds in the plant, supports healthy cell growth and reduces inflammation. Hypericum, or St John's Wort as its more commonly known has been used for hundreds of years and is known as natures tonic for the entire nervous system. Not only is it used for anxiety and depression but used as an oil can calm the pain of sciatica, fibromyalgia and breast tenderness.



Along with stiffness and muscle spasms Fibromyalgia suffers also experience hypersensitivity in a number of tender points across the body. My problem areas tend to be my lower back, hips, knees, ankles, hands, shoulders and neck. But unless I'm having a flare up I will only tend to struggle daily with my hips, back and knees. After finding this joint easy gel by Inlight I have seen such an improvement in my symptoms. I will generally apply it twice a day to mainly my knees and if someone is around I will ask them to apply it to my lower back as I have trouble reaching round there. When applied it seems to warm up slightly against the skin and I can feel a calming effect almost instantly. Rosemary, ginger and frankincense all have anti-inflammatory properties as well as being a natural pain killer. I would really advise this to anyone who suffers from stiffness, pain or swelling in any of their joints. It absorbs really quickly and doesn't have an overpowering scent like some of the other more harmful products on the market.



Now, finally back to my little bean. A friend of mine recommended Viridian a while ago and as soon as I found out I was pregnant I went straight to their site and picked up the pregnancy complex capsules. They contain all the extra vitamins and minerals you need during pregnancy which are important for healthy development. They are a bit pricey but they're worth it in my opinion. I plan to take these throughout my pregnancy along with a few others.

I'm still trying things out and would love to hear from anyone with tips on staying strong during pregnancy. Fingers crossed my symptoms seem to have improved slightly but I'm concerned about how the extra weight will affect me. If you have any support and guidance I would love to here from you, email me here.

Laurie Rose

* I am not a medical professional so please consult your midwife or doctor before you use any of these products.