Extending your tan into Autumn



The autumn air is fast approaching and if I'm truly honest I'm over the moon - I've never been one for baking in the summer sun.

However a few weeks ago I spent the afternoon enjoying the summer sun for the first time in years. It was the afternoon I spent at Festival No6 in Portmeirion and for the first time in my life I had forgotten to apply sunscreen - total faux pas for someone with translucent skin - but to my surprise, after a brief period of looking like a lobster, I actually ended up with a tan.

It was only on my arms but for the first time in a long time I have a healthy glow and I think it rather suits me.
So after years of being pasty I decided to look for some products that would help me keep this glow well into autumn and even winter - if I can be bothered.

I have always been against self tanning lotions as I have always found them to be really sticky, unpleasant to apply and the smell is usually over baring. However I decided to give this one a whirl by Green People and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the result.



First of all I had a good old scrub in the shower, concentrating on those stubborn rough patches, like my elbows and ankles. Then I used this refining skin polish by ESPA. I'm pretty sure it's meant for your face but I used it on those few areas that needed it the most and along with my trusty Shea Body Scrub by the Body Shop it worked wonders. It has a real spa like scent and is indeed a luxury product - so a little goes a long way. 

After my shower I just like to dry off naturally or pat myself down with a fresh fluffy towel and before applying the self tan I always ensure my skin is completely dry.

The self tan has a cream like consistency and is lightweight so there is no need to use a tanning mitt in my opinion - as long as you ensure you scrub your palms and nails after you've finished. I just find it applies a lot smoother and more even with you hands. I give it a good ten minutes or so to soak in before I get dressed but I found it dries really quickly and only take a few hours to start developing.

I tend to apply mine in the evening before bed and then by the morning you have that slight glow which is neither orange or patchy. I must admit this product lasted a good five days to a week and faded really naturally. I didn't notice any patches at all.

I felt the colour match was perfect for my skin tone but if you're looking for something a little more extreme I suggest applying another layer in the morning.

My final product is like a BB cream for your body. Vita Liberata Capture the Light Buttermilk is my go to product anytime I need to expose my legs. It offers a polished finish to your skin that glistens and reflects the light. It illuminates even the palest of skin and really makes it glow. It is also available for dark complexions too.

What are you already missing about Summer?

Laurie Rose